Google
 
Web www.scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com

The boy who knew too much: a child prodigy

This is the true story of scientific child prodigy, and former baby genius, Ainan Celeste Cawley, written by his father. It is the true story, too, of his gifted brothers and of all the Cawley family. I write also of child prodigy and genius in general: what it is, and how it is so often neglected in the modern world. As a society, we so often fail those we should most hope to see succeed: our gifted children and the gifted adults they become. Site Copyright: Valentine Cawley, 2006 +

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Babies who climb: early athleticism

Tiarnan Hasyl Cawley is eight months old. A couple of weeks ago he began to climb into his chair (a normal type of chair, just smaller), onto tables, onto sofas, walls, everything. This follows his earliest efforts at climbing: at four months he would climb into and out of his his reclining baby chair, if it was placed on the floor. He seemed to identify it as his corner of the world and would seek it out if placed elsewhere on the floor and clamber up into it. There is a certain courage and tenacity in the way he overcomes each climbing challenge. His most impressive climbing however has been to climb upstairs at 5 months and two weeks.

We didn't pay as much attention to Ainan Celeste Cawley's exploits, for he was our first child and we didn't have any experience of children then and so did not know what was precocious child development and what wasn't. It was just Ainan being Ainan. However, Ainan was able to climb into and out of his own cot (a standard wooden frame cot of traditional design), at eight months. I have never heard of a baby doing anything so precociously athletic - or dangerous. He did it each time flawlessly, and without seeming to be challenged by it. The habit, however, did worry us and meant that the cot was not effective containment at all.

A gifted child may be gifted in many ways. Early movement is one sign of a gifted mind at work. You see learning to control the body is a big mental challenge, not easily overcome in those early months. If your child does it more quickly than most, then I believe that shows a gifted child at work.

For more on Tiarnan's athleticism: http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2006/10/athleticism-in-baby-opens-door-to.html

and

http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2006/09/baby-tiarnan-crawls-downstairs.html

For Tiarnan's early speech development:

http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2006/10/talkative-baby-genius-verbal.html

For stories on his gifted brothers, Ainan Celeste Cawley, six, a scientific child prodigy, and Fintan Nadym Cawley, a natural leader, with an interesting personality, go to:

http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2006/10/scientific-child-prodigy-guide.html

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Valentine Cawley @ 1:24 PM 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a neice who is now four. I can remember first noticing her amazing strength when she was just a couple days old. I held her and she seemed so awake, and alert. I was staying at my sister's home at the time so I was around her most of her first days.
I held her underneath her arms while me in a sitting position on a sofa. She straightened her legs and locked them to stand. She had no problem standing holding up her own weight, it seemed effortless to her. From then on she wanted to stand all the time. I can remember wondering if that was 'normal', I remember I just told my sister she was really strong!
That only leads to the main story I wanted to tell.
She was ten months old. This day she had climed up on the chair at the kitchen table, and I remember by then it was such a common thing that from being tired of always chasing her and picking her up and having to put her down, or off, she had proven sturdiness, so there wasn't much of a panic at the time. I remember I got up to go , you know, assure the situation and tell her no, and pick her up to take her off of it . As I'm walking over to her, the chair tipped back and she gripped on to the side of the table. I watched her hold on to it with her legs dangling a foot off the ground while she held her head above her hands in a pull up position. I couldn't believe my eyes. Since then she has proven to be a very srtong, intelligent girl.

3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape