Google
 
Web www.scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com

The boy who knew too much: a child prodigy

This is the true story of scientific child prodigy, and former baby genius, Ainan Celeste Cawley, written by his father. It is the true story, too, of his gifted brothers and of all the Cawley family. I write also of child prodigy and genius in general: what it is, and how it is so often neglected in the modern world. As a society, we so often fail those we should most hope to see succeed: our gifted children and the gifted adults they become. Site Copyright: Valentine Cawley, 2006 +

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The science fiction, fantasy fan.

Tiarnan, two, is already showing certain traits that I possessed as a child. The mystery of it is where it all comes from - because I am not really showing these traits as an adult, so he has no real model to draw them from.

Yesterday, Tiarnan, was invited to choose videos at the video store. He was very sure of his selections: he chose 10,000 B.C, The Road to Terabithia and Eragon. Now, as anyone should note, these are all science fiction/science fantasy titles. He ignored all other genres in the store - except he also wanted to get out a dinosaur documentary DVD - but he had already seen that so Syahidah, his mother, vetoed it.

I found his selection very interesting since, as a child and teenager, I had been drawn, primarily, to science fiction and science fantasy in my reading and, if I had the chance, film watching. So, Tiarnan, given complete freedom of choice, is replicating my own childhood choices. I read much science fiction (sci-fi), as a complimentary activity to my interests in science. Thus, my childhood life of the imagination was one that extended my more down to earth interests.

With Tiarnan, it seems he is naturally drawn to that which is more imaginative, more outside the norm of human experience. He is, for instance, a great fan of Ben 10. He has also shown a liking for science, such as is his exposure at this tender age.

To me, this tendency to echo the childhood of the parents is interesting: it seems that basic dispositions of character and interest may also be found in the children. Perhaps much more is inherited than one might suppose.

Tiarnan is a child of great imagination: it has a great effect on him, but I shall post of that another time. It gives me great pleasure to note, though, that his interests are reflecting my own childhood interests. As a father, this means that I can share with him, what once I enjoyed so much, and so come to enjoy it again, in a new way, perhaps a deeper way, as I see him explore territory I so used to explore myself.

Then again, it makes it quite easy for me, as a parent - because I already have such familiarity with his area of interest and so have much to give him, in that regard. This is the kind of luck every parent could do with.

I am looking forward to introducing him to the works of Tolkien, later on - for those were a memorable discovery when I was a kid. No doubt they will be for Tiarnan, too.

I think I have got some videos to watch, now...

(If you would like to learn more of Ainan Celeste Cawley, a scientific child prodigy, aged eight years and seven months, or his gifted brothers, Fintan, five years exactly, and Tiarnan, twenty-eight months, please go to: http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2006/10/scientific-child-prodigy-guide.html I also write of gifted education, IQ, intelligence, the Irish, the Malays, Singapore, College, University, Chemistry, Science, genetics, left-handedness, precocity, child prodigy, child genius, baby genius, adult genius, savant, wunderkind, wonderkind, genio, гений ребенок prodigy, genie, μεγαλοφυία θαύμα παιδιών, bambino, kind.

We are the founders of Genghis Can, a copywriting, editing and proofreading agency, that handles all kinds of work, including technical and scientific material. If you need such services, or know someone who does, please go to: http://www.genghiscan.com/ Thanks.

This blog is copyright Valentine Cawley. Unauthorized duplication prohibited. Use Only with Permission. Thank you.)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Valentine Cawley @ 6:02 PM 

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The films you mentioned are popular among youths, can I also recommend The Golden Compass, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Big Fish.

If he doesn't mind watching Japanese anime, Spirited Away would be great fun as well.

LOL. Talking about anime, can I recommend for yourself this series call Full Metal Alchemist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullmetal_Alchemist

11:11 AM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Thanks for the tips. I will see what Tiarnan thinks of them.

As for the recommendation for me...it is much appreciated.

Thank you.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I have been reading through several of your posts and I'm interested to find out if you are familiar with Dr. Brian Weiss? He does regression and progression therapy (in the U.S.) and has written several books about it. Amazing stuff! I would love to find out what you and your sons' past lives were and what your future lives fortell. Seriously, this guy is not a joke...I would suggest reading, 'Many Lives, Many Masters' and 'Same Soul, Many Bodies.' I would love to get your opinion on this. Cheers.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Hi Rebecca,

I am not familiar with the work of Dr. Weiss. I am afraid I don't know much about regression or progression therapy...so I can't really comment at this time.

If I have time, I will try to take a look at the books you have suggested. Thanks for the suggestions.

I hope you enjoy the blog.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape