Google
 
Web www.scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com

The boy who knew too much: a child prodigy

This is the true story of scientific child prodigy, and former baby genius, Ainan Celeste Cawley, written by his father. It is the true story, too, of his gifted brothers and of all the Cawley family. I write also of child prodigy and genius in general: what it is, and how it is so often neglected in the modern world. As a society, we so often fail those we should most hope to see succeed: our gifted children and the gifted adults they become. Site Copyright: Valentine Cawley, 2006 +

Friday, October 10, 2008

The colleague I made one day.

This is a reposting of Tuesday's post - because it has been unaccountably deleted (at least, I can't find it on my screen).

I had no idea, when my first son was born, that in a few years, he would, essentially, become not only my son, but my colleague, too.

Before Ainan, I had never really had a close scientific colleague with whom I could discuss ideas and consider possibilties. Although Ainan is only eight years old, talking to him is not like talking to an eight year old - it is like holding a discussion with a very creative, fast thinking adult scientist. I find it refreshing. All my life I have lacked such stimulation (I didn't find it at Cambridge University, for instance) but, now, in my own home, I have as much of it as I want or could ever need - all I have to do is begin a sentence with "Ainan..." and I am soon deep into a wide-ranging, scientifically profound conversation. It is wonderful.

I don't know what the future of the intellectual side of my relationship with my son will hold. Yet, I can say: the present is pretty good. I have had the best scientific conversations in my life with Ainan since he was five years old. No other conversation, with adult scientists, has proven as remotely interesting.

Fatherhood is full of surprises - and some of them are much more rewarding than one could ever have anticipated.

(If you would like to learn more of Ainan Celeste Cawley, a scientific child prodigy, aged eight years and seven months, or his gifted brothers, Fintan, five years exactly, and Tiarnan, twenty-eight months, please go to: http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2006/10/scientific-child-prodigy-guide.html I also write of gifted education, IQ, intelligence, the Irish, the Malays, Singapore, College, University, Chemistry, Science, genetics, left-handedness, precocity, child prodigy, child genius, baby genius, adult genius, savant, wunderkind, wonderkind, genio, гений ребенок prodigy, genie, μεγαλοφυία θαύμα παιδιών, bambino, kind.

We are the founders of Genghis Can, a copywriting, editing and proofreading agency, that handles all kinds of work, including technical and scientific material. If you need such services, or know someone who does, please go to: http://www.genghiscan.com/ Thanks.)

Labels: , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Valentine Cawley @ 12:16 PM 

4 Comments:

Blogger Miao 妙 said...

I feel very touched by this entry. Thanks for sharing with us.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Thank you, Miao, for your heartfelt response.

Best wishes

4:26 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

You are fortunate to have such a remarkable child.
Ainan has brilliant potential. He is also fortunate to have parents who care that his academic talents are realized.

It must be difficult for child prodigies without parents, family members, or peers who can relate to their areas of interest.

I'm sure Ainan enjoys having someone to spin off his scientific ideas.

Thanks for sharing!!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Yes, Ainan is very lucky to have a similarly interested mind to talk to. It makes a great deal of difference to him - and to me. It is funny, but with him I have the most natural of all conversations - and he always understands what I am saying - and vice-versa.

How strange that such a blessing should come in the shape of a young son!

Thank you for your kind words, Shannon.

Best wishes.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape