Google
 
Web www.scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com

The boy who knew too much: a child prodigy

This is the true story of scientific child prodigy, and former baby genius, Ainan Celeste Cawley, written by his father. It is the true story, too, of his gifted brothers and of all the Cawley family. I write also of child prodigy and genius in general: what it is, and how it is so often neglected in the modern world. As a society, we so often fail those we should most hope to see succeed: our gifted children and the gifted adults they become. Site Copyright: Valentine Cawley, 2006 +

Thursday, March 29, 2007

On having a sense of humour

Do all gifted people have a sense of humour? Do they understand when another is being light of heart?

I don't think so. The evidence of a recent post shows an utter lack of a sense of humour in one "member of the gifted community". It seems that they were unable to identify when I was being light of heart, in my many posts about my children's actions.

I find this worrying. This person thought that I had compared my son, Ainan, to the "Second Coming", since I had talked of his experiments with walking on water and had pointed out that he knew nothing of religious history, so he had not been inspired by anyone. He - or she - had clearly overlooked my intention to tell a light-hearted anecdote of life with Ainan. I find that amazing.

Indeed, by pointing out the fact that Ainan knew nothing of religious history - I was DISCONNECTING him from the actions of Jesus - for they could have had no effect on his thinking. He was just a child at play. What was interesting to me, in his experiments, is the way he approached it - his structured analysis of the situation - and his modest degree of success in accomplishing his aim, with materials he found lying around. That is characteristic of Ainan: he works with whatever is to hand.

This incident leads me to wonder how much else of what I have written is misunderstood. Much of it is written to entertain and inform. If it succeeds in either intention, I am happy for it. That someone should miss the point of my writing and then promulgate an opinion of me based on that misunderstanding is rather saddening.

To bolster their argument, they "appealed to authority", saying that Gifted Psychologists disagreed with some of the things I said. Well, let them disagree. I disagree with almost everything psychologists do. I met a lot of them at University - and they were often lacking in insight into Humanity, in a way which was quite perturbing. I never met a creative mind among them: perhaps that is why psychology has yet to become a real science - there are too few really good thinkers working in it (though there may be some, but not enough).

So, reader from Iowa, Fairfield...thanks for your comment. It was nice of you try to make the message gentler, towards the end. However, I shan't publish it, but I have addressed it, partially, here.

Perhaps a blog would be easier to understand if you could hear when I was laughing, as I wrote.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Valentine Cawley @ 8:43 AM 

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could try using the internet slang (LOL; ROTFL; IMHO and the lot) to alert your readers to your tongue-in-cheek commentary.

But as Lincoln might say: You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not please all of the people all of the time.

You're doing a great job, IMHO.

Look forward to reading your entries as long as you're willing to write them.

Pam

12:43 PM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Thank you for your supportive comment Pam. It was disheartening to receive the post "Iowa, Fairfield" wrote. It is not easy to maintain a blog at a couple of posts a day and have a life as a father of three...so it is a blow when someone clearly doesn't appreciate it.

The opposite applies, too, of course...and your warm support is all the more encouragement to continue my extended labour in writing this account of three children - just one gifted family - and my OWN thoughts on giftedness.

Best wishes

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

Yea... I agree with Pam.. maybe you should include those internet slang. It'd be more fun! :D

And I also look forward to your updates everyday. I enjoy reading the development of your children. Really. :) How I wish I could play with them. It will definitely be fun and interesting! I looove kids!

And yea, if Ainan were to school at NUS high, there's a chance that I may catch a glimpse of him coz I am studying at a university nearby. :D Bet he knows more than me. *ashamed*

I will pray for ur family's success. :)

Take care and good day!!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Thanks Aisyah for your encouragement...positive feedback allows one to weather those of a different opinion, better.

We will see where Ainan goes: that is yet to be decided. Yet, the decision will be made soon.

As for internet slang: I have never used them in my life...so it would take some adjustment: I normally like to keep my English to the Standard model.

Best of luck with your studies.

Kind regards

2:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the way you blog. Very heartwarming at times to know how amazing your kids are. I enjoy reading about them very much!

I have one son myself, aged 2. His abilities are uncomparable to Ainan or any of 'em, but I'm thankful for what he is today. You have the greatest God's gift and you sure are blessed with it. God bless you!

Well, what I can say, you can't write to please everyone, but more importantly, you should write to please yourself :)

Continue your writings and I look forward to see how Ainan and the brothers are doing from time to time. You really do have amazing kids!!!!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Thanks Erlisa. Your reaction to my blog shows a kind of generosity of heart that I wish were more common.

I think every parent is blessed...for having kids really does deepen one's life (as you have found out).

Thank you for your kind words regarding my kids.

Best wishes on bringing up your child.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mr cawley!

Ive been reading the news of your little ainan lately and goodness gracious, that boy is a genius in the making!

i applaud your effort for bringing the best out of your child's precocious ability. lets hope he's gonna bring something to the society one day...if God's will.

hey do what you want to do, write what you want to write. its just a blog, an avenue where you pen and share your thoughts with many others. it's not as if you are telling the world you got your kids a Paul Smith kicks from Kids 21! hey any daddies would be proud if ainan is their son... i would even if lil ainan is my neighbour's kid!!

write more, share more. till then, ciao bello!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Hi Fadzly

Thanks for your supportive comment...it is good to receive and does help a lot.

I believe Ainan can bring something special to society - but he has a journey of many stages to make before he can contribute to the scientific world he wishes to inhabit. It is my role as a parent (and perhaps Singapore's role as a society...) to enable him to make that journey successfully.

I shall continue to write, despite the ill-wishes of a few.

Thanks.

Best wishes.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

are Ainan like Jokes? or he like Joking? Success for this Blog!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Yes. Ainan likes to joke around...in his own particularly intellectual way. Thank you for asking.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape